Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ideas for solutions!

Hey Everyone!
If you just comment on this blog with your ideas, we will go over them at our meeting next week! Hopefully this will give us some creative brainstorming ideas!

5 comments:

  1. So our ideal goal is to make campus more appealing, and a more specific goal we discussed is to open up the UC/the campus and find what it is that finds these things from being open to all. We also talked about programming being culturally focused.

    I need clarification on if we decided to narrow down our idea of inclusivity at all. If we decide to focus on opening up the UC to everyone, which is just one idea that we talked about (according to my notes), we can research a little more why commuters specifically would feel more or less welcome in the UC. It works as a good place to hang out in between classes but also is a very social area so if you don't have a large group of friends on campus a lot I can see how it could be unwelcoming.

    This is just the first thing that comes to mind. Hopefully we can get some more ideas at or before our meeting. Monday @ 3 would work for me, I am only free Monday and Wednesday of next week or Friday of this week to meet so I hope that works for everyone.

    See you guys in class Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought we were attempting to devise some sort of action plan to utilize in the event of a situation similar to the chalk drawings or writings in the library bathroom. If that is the case I think we would need a three part solution.

    First we would need a maintenence or pre-event plan in place. This would be a group of activities or events designed to foster inclusivity/tolerance towards ethnic and LGBT groups and individuals. In the interest of preserving a small budget these activities could be run by student orgs such as asian, african american, and international student orgs.

    Second we would need a plan to activate once an event occurs. This would call for a quick public announcement by the University, the community, and student groups affected by the event. Complete visibility of the event and actions and plans taken by the University would be of utmost importance. Every action taken would need to be seen by the community and student body. Plans would have to be put into place to protect affected groups and provide a forum for them to discuss the problem. Anevent could be organized by the University in conjunction with student groups to allow students to speak their mind and offer thier own solutions to the problem at hand.

    Third, and lastly, we would need a plan to enact and maintain any solutions that were devised by the university, community, and student body. In the interest of budgeting this could be the duty of an organization or group created by the university staffed by students and perhaps a proffesor or faculty member. This would allow for a cheaper solution than a task force created by the university that would require much greater funding. Cooperation with local law enforcement officials would also be a great and cheap idea.

    If this isnt what we were going for, are we going for solutions to increase inclusivity on campus? If so we are going to need to show prospective students that there is far more to UWRF than our Agriculture program. Some sort of ad campaign that touts our business program, that a few years ago got some big accreditation would be a good idea. In addition, showing that our theatre program is nationally recognized and is very, very good, would also be a good idea. I'm sure there are many more ways to do this, I just don't want to keep going on if this isn't what we were going for. We can get this all figured out and examine our ideas on Monday. See you all then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I guess I would like more clarification as well. But I agree that focusing on the UC would be good--we could narrow it down I guess?

    It would be good to narrow it down and make our solution as relatable and understanding as possible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree on the idea that we should clarify what specific problem should be solved too!
    UC openness to students and orgs would be good to explore since it matters with all the students on campus. I guess we should get more information about how the UC is working currently and how far students and orgs can utilize it. Maybe we should talk with somebody responsible for UC if we're solving issue on this.
    But also, personally I like the idea of what should be done when discriminating event happen. We can try make processes, like how school should react to it and inform students about the event, how school should take care of targeted and hurt students, and how school should educate students on the issue.

    See you all tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Minori as well! The school should take care of the students and actually do something about crazy events that happen. The students should be educated in this way...

    ReplyDelete